Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Doodle from last night

This one's kind of a weird one; I've been thinking a lot about the idea of bodily presence in visual art lately, especially with regards to my ongoing painting, Host. I tend to perceive particular shapes as having a living presence sometimes, and so with this I was trying to point out which towers/prisms were reading as lifeforms by adding synecdoche via eyes (eyeball art, lol). I also was thinking a lot about James Rizzi, a pop artist I recently discovered via the music videos for the Tom Tom Club. Though he was not involved, the animators were working from his style, kind of like a backwards Peter Max/Yellow Submarine situation. Also, this week Nam June Paik is my hero. Pardon the Russian.

To add a few more thoughts, I recently found out that my favorite webcomic Cat and Girl has not only a four-page discussion of the effects of digital photography on society here, but also a short discussion on my current obsession, the atomization of culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment